Search This Blog

Saturday 5 July 2014

Ukraine

For the life of me, I find it hard to make sense of the crisis in the Ukraine.  The western media seems to put all blame on Russia, but I have my doubts.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28174104

This crisis seems to be about Russia being against the western leaning Ukrainian government and Russia wishing still to have a "sphere of influence" in the old communist states that once formed part of the USSR. The fact that Russia exports a lot of its gas to Europe complicates things.  I don't know much about Ukraine's history but know Crimea was gifted to Ukraine by Russia in the old USSR days. Maybe this part should again be Russian?

Whatever, I hope differences can be fixed and a peaceful solution found. It would be terribly sad if Ukraine fell into civil war. Surely peace is worth so much more? Maybe the answer is more autonomy for the Russian speaking parts?

No comments:

Post a Comment