Search This Blog

Friday 4 July 2014

NHS inefficiency

Let me say from the outset that I believe in the NHS (National Health Service) - that clinical care should not be a privilege of those who can afford it - everyone has the right to good care when they are ill. Creating the NHS was a highlight of the post-WW2 Labour government. The idea too that essential public services should be in public ownership is also fundamentally "right".  BTW, I am unlikely to vote for Labour in the next General Election in 2015. Still looking at issues and policies.

What I do have an issue with are the gross inefficiencies in the NHS,  especially when it comes to communications, both in hospital and when people are discharged. I have been involved in a heated Facebook debate over this.

It is my contention that the NHS could save billions each year and give patients a better, more caring service, if they "smartened up their act" on communications. I have countless examples I could give based on my own experiences and those of close friends. You may recall I was in a major UK hospital for 3.5 months last year.

Time and again I get cross when I see gross incompetence.  In the private sector such idiots (if working for me) would have been sacked. There are no excuses - it is not a shortage of staff or overwork - in most cases it is sheer sloppy behaviour and unbelievably bad communications. The NHS needs to sort its communications out and fast. Personally, I think people need to be accountable in a "private sector" way. The NHS needs to get a grip.

Recently it took letters to the NHS bosses and my MP to get action. It worked for me, but it should not have been necessary: poor communication is the single biggest cause of waste in the NHS in my view. It needs sorting.

As an ex-manager in private industry, the NHS is crying out for reform. It has to happen, no excuses.

I could give numerous examples where poor communication was evident. In some cases it was individuals and poor training, in other cases the systems were letting the NHS down.

It pains me to see public services letting themselves down. The NHS could be so much better, and at effectively no cost - just smarten up the systems to avoid waste. Tell me, if the NHS was your business wouldn't you be crying out for reform?  Because it is very large, not bothered about profits and publically owned it lacks efficiency and accountability.

2 comments:

  1. Communication and systems....

    I had an MRI scan on 17th May for a possible benign brain tumour. Having heard nothing for weeks I rang the hospital at the end of June.

    Eventually I spoke to the right secretary who told me that a letter had been written dated 19th June and posted (by carrier pigeon?). It's now 5th July and a still haven't received it. BTW no brain tumour on the scan.

    Dave - M6DFA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, Firstly glad you are clear. This communication seems typical. To you it is vitally important, so why doesn't some person realise this and make sure you get the result? It makes my blood boil with rage! It is SO unnecessary. Yet again, it is inefficiency - NOTHING to do with staff levels. In private industry, several people involved would be disciplined or sacked. Firstly, YOU should be copied, even by email. Secondly, no-one seems to have realised the letter contents had not been communicated to you (Dr?, surgery?). Total rubbish service.

    ReplyDelete